Sunday, February 5, 2012

What is the correct spelling of the word "ruke", as in to "ruke around" for something?

This is a slang term, a verb meaning to search in a confined space, as when trying to find something small in a drawer full of stuff that may or may not be there. It is used in the part of the country where I live, though I don't know how much elsewhere. My daughter wanted to use it in Scrabble but the person she was playing said he'd never heard of it and she couldn't find it in the dictionary. I couldn't eitherWhat is the correct spelling of the word "ruke", as in to "ruke around" for something?
It`s ROOT. For example if you root around for an answer, you want to get to the bottom of it,
i thought it was ROOTWhat is the correct spelling of the word "ruke", as in to "ruke around" for something?
is it rummage through? rake means to examine hastily.. Rummage through is to search haphazardly.. I've never heard of ruke before..



For example, "He rummaged through the drawers".. the verb of rummage is mostly used for drawers
It is "root", not "ruke". Ruke is not a word in English, though it has been used as a name; Ruke Chowall was a male Quarren who lived on Mon Calamari in Star Wars, LOL. He was chief editor of "On Your Knees!", a popular show in Morjanssik



What is the correct spelling of the word "ruke", as in to "ruke around" for something?
I think it is spelled "ruch" but sounds like ruck. If you say "ruke" and it sounds like "ruke" then that is just how you say it. I say it myself. I have done for as long as I can remember. If people say it, it is a word. I am unsure of where the term comes from but there is a sewing technique called ruching which in my head kind of makes sense if you do the action lol.



Also, my dog digs at any chair he sits on and i call that "rucking". Hope it helps...
i heard it this way: pigs root around in the trough for slop
it was a chinese man who said it his wife said wheres my necklace he said "rook around" you spelt it wrong
Its a corruption of the word root. to root around to search usually on or near the ground (like pigs do)
ROOT!
rook = root + look?



Maybe something to do with rooks, the big black birds?

No comments:

Post a Comment