Sunday, February 12, 2012

Have you ever read the dictionary all the way through from A-Z?

I'm thinking about doing that to expand my vocabulary and spelling...I know, total nerd! I'm thinking it will take me years though haha.Have you ever read the dictionary all the way through from A-Z?
鈾lla McAvoy鈾?- YES, I have read the dictionary all the way through. But, it was YEARS ago. When I was in grammar school I had to babysit my younger sisters after school and they would usually watch TV and I got bored so I read the dictionary (large Websters) and later we got a set of used encyclopedias so I read those, too. The dictionary was less than 2,000 pages and, if I remember correctly, took less than 2 weeks. It took about a year to read the encyclopedias.



And, yes, I was a nerd and still am. I always carry the current book I'm reading in my purse and a small dictionary.



One more thing...I got the idea of reading the dictionary from my grandfather. My grandfather was born in 1897 and NEVER went to regular school. His mother taught him how to read, write and do math. My grandfather was one of the most intelligent, well-read people I have ever met. My grandfather read the dictionary EVERY day. He learned something new every day of his life. He lived to be nearly 100 years old and was mentally sharp until the day he died.
Ha. Yeah. I think I actually tried to re-write it too. How dumb. Also, just because you want to read the dictionary to help expand your vocabulary doesn't make you a nerd. It makes you apart of that 12% of the population that want to be more literate.

My mom once read this poem I wrote and I used all these words I learned from the dictionary and I heard her talking about it, and she said that I could "Put Bob Dylan to shame." And that it made her feel like crap because hers sucked and mine were better, But, whatever. You don't have to read all the dictionary, but you can look up some interesting words from time to time. That's what I do.

You'll do what you want, and if you want to read the dictionary, you should do it.Have you ever read the dictionary all the way through from A-Z?
Yes, it was fun for me to here words I've never heard with weird deffintion and then to find words I had heard but didn't know what they ment. It took me 3 months. 2 times a week I would go to my grandparents (they had the giant collection, A and B in one book but now I know alot more.
If you're going to bother, why not do it right and get yourself a subscription to the OED online. Then you can learn every word ever written in the English language, even extinct words, and how they've been spelled in the past too!Have you ever read the dictionary all the way through from A-Z?
Yes. I was surprised to find out there are so much I have not heard off. Give it a try, you might like it. It took me over a week to speed through a dictionary.
or you could just go on this website.



http://www.freerice.com/index.php



You probably know most of the words in the dictionary so reading wont benifit you. When you get your 'vocab level' high it gets harder.
I don't have that much time on my hands.

I need to sleep 15 hours of the day, about 3 are devoted to eating, so the last six would be devoted to R%26amp;S and homework.
I read an encyclopedia once on a dare. I know all the words that start with D according to Encyclopedia Britanica. It helps!
LOL no, but I've thought about doing that. I think it could prove to be interesting... I started from the back, and found some interesting things.... go for it.
Good LORD, no!

Read a novel, and when you get to words you don't know, THEN read the dictionary!! lol =]
no. it is a reference book, not a literary one.
I started to....but when I got to the word "stop" I put the book back on the shelve.....I'm a good direction follower...8P~
I almost finished the whole Random House dictionary but I got tired because reading is not my stuff nowadays.
Not exactly. But it is fun to browse. I love seeing the roots of some words. Tells a lot of history.
I'm curious now...I wonder how long it would take me??!!, well Good Luck %26amp; I hope you have fun
i never got past adversery
everytime I get high dude

its trippy
yeah... the dictionary that was in my english book... about 50 words...
Only a 1968 Webster's in third grade. Yep, it helps a LOT.
Funnily enough, I have! It took me three days for me to do so.
no

its for freaks
no, i dont have THAT much free time

No comments:

Post a Comment