Saturday, February 18, 2012

Do you think YA will update it's dictionary if Obama gets elected?

Why is the suggested spelling for Obama still Osama? You would think after he became the topic of conversation in the politics section that they would update their dictionary...Do you think YA will update it's dictionary if Obama gets elected?
it's about time they did it... it's taking a tad bit too long!
It's outrageous that YA can't seem to include the proper name of a major presidential candidate in its spelling dictionary. I would hope that upon his election they would finally get it together.Do you think YA will update it's dictionary if Obama gets elected?
maybe??
I wouldn't count on it. Most automatic spell-checkers flag me constantly. That little gadge off to the right never goes away, no matter what I write and I'm pretty careful. I teach English, after all, and I keep a dictionary next to my desk. But these computers only know what people teach them. Someone has to take the time to go into their guts and do a little work. It's a lot easier not to bother. These little things also tell me that I put in too much punctuation, or, if I decide to highlight something by putting it in capital letters, they flag that too. It's all very silly because I know perfectly well what I'm doing. But you can't argue with a computer. It's much too stupid, isn't it? By the way, the computer inevitably tells me I've misspelled my own name (first and last), and my children's names. Well, I know I haven't! Back in the old days, I used a Macintosh and we had a function where we could into the dictionary ourselves and add words to it so that it would quit flagging things like this that we used all the time. I do wish that the PCs of the world would catch up to the old Mac. I hated leaving the Mac, I really did. It used to advertise itself as "the computer for the rest of us." Yes, indeed, it was. It didn't bomb half as often as the PC does either. And when it did, it usually told me why. This one tells the same thing, time and again, that I have a virus or too many add-ons to my tool bar. Well, I know neither one is true. It's faulty plumbing, I say. The mouse runs over a toolbar and the screen goes squirrelly. Or I open three windows and oig! off it goes. Or I close something and it refuses to leave the screen. None of these things happened with the Mac. Gee, I sure miss my old Mac! I could put accent marks on Spanish and French words, create fonts for Egyptian hieroglyphs and Chinese words and...ah well, maybe in another 50 years PC will catch up with where Mac was back in 1980.Do you think YA will update it's dictionary if Obama gets elected?
You want to know the sad part? They already did. If you were to type Obama into a Qor A. you used to get ABM as your first choice. Thank God the geniuses at Y!A fixed that. That mistake would be embarrassing.
That's probably how the ballots that were sent out in one city had Osama for a choice. (they only sent out 200 before it was caught)

Barrack Hussein Osama - that's what spell check suggests.
Well, such window dressing takes time, and especially someone who can do something about it has to be aware of it, which means someone needs to write to the appropriate department at Yahoo.



Fortunately, at Google, there is an automation device that tallies popular searches and puts them under that "I'm feeling lucky" button with some hilarious results. At one time, 'more evil than Satan' would pop up Microsoft. In 2005, typing in 'failure' and hitting that button for most frequent selected search results led to the Bush White House. Today you can type in 'miserable failure' and get an interesting result.

No comments:

Post a Comment