Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why use a dictionary to see if a word is spelled right if you dont know how to spell it?

help me i am confused i mean who would look up a word to see how its spelled if you dont know how to spell it.Why use a dictionary to see if a word is spelled right if you dont know how to spell it?
I always just open up Microsoft Word and type the word the way I think it is spelled, then use spellchecker to get the correct spelling. Dictionaries aren't technologically advanced like that, and not as convenient. The only reason I use a dictionary is to look up what a word means or how it is pronounced. And for that I don't even use a book dictionary, I use an online one. http://dictionary.reference.com/

It has a dictionary and thesaurus available. Very convenient and quick!
If you know what it sounds like then you can look up how you think it's spelled, or if you think it is spelled a certain way then you can check if you're right.Why use a dictionary to see if a word is spelled right if you dont know how to spell it?
I usually have a go at typing it and use the pc spell checker. It always seems to come up with the right one.
I dp. It worked for me.Why use a dictionary to see if a word is spelled right if you dont know how to spell it?
Any intelligent person would so .

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Spell check does't always have what you need
Well, if you don't know, then you won't find it! Then you keep trying different spellings until you find it, that's simple enough, no?



Toodles
You usually know enough about the word to look it up. I do it all the time.
A great question - one my students challenge me with every single year! You're right in theory - if you can't spell the word how can you look it up? But in school, you are also taught phonics, sounding out words, some dictionaries have pictures to help you 'associate' the word with the meaning - if you are reading a particular text - you should have some other context clues around the word in a sentence which should help you realize the spelling. Think about the syllables, prefix and suffix possibilities in the word when you 'sound it out'....all of these are strategies to help you "see' the word in the dictionary and check the meaning and then confirm the spelling.....
buy a bad spellers dictionary. I has the words listed how a bad speller would spell it , than the correct spelling. It's great for dummies like me
I was told to look it up in the dictionary. One problem was where to find it, for I could not spell it right. Thank God for spell checkers. Now it doesn't take twenty minutes to find the word in the dictionary. There is something to say for modern electronics.
Many times you can have a good idea of at least the first few letters. For example, if you don't know the word "phonetic", you can use your knowledge of English to know that an "f" sound means you should look under either f or ph in the dictionary. As your knowledge of prefixes, common root words, and other clues increases, you'll be able to find words much more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment