Friday, January 20, 2012

Spelling Survey: composer names/composition titles - which easy to spell, which requires the dictionary?

For some, the correct spelling of most anything is easily learnt and remembered; but for others, this cannot be said to be a true statement.



In which category do you think you belong? Some composer's names and the titles of some compositions are easy to remember; others, difficult.



Care to participate in a survey to determine your degree of proficiency?



List seven of the composer's FULL name you can easily spell.



And seven of those that often require reference to the dictionary.

--------------------------------------鈥?br>


Now, perform the same exercise regarding the title of compositions(FULL title).



Thanks and have fun,



AlberichSpelling Survey: composer names/composition titles - which easy to spell, which requires the dictionary?
Easy:

John Cage

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Pjotr Illich Chajkovksij

Shostakovich

Rakhmaninov

Arabesque

Requiem



Hard:

Dvo艡ak (impossible to pronounce unless you were Czech)

Xu Yi (just unsure of pronounciation)

Chansons mad茅casses

Vergn眉gte Ruh', beliebte...Aria from Cantata BW 170

...
Easy to Spell:

Ludwig van Beethoven- Symphony No.5 in C Minor Op.67

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Johann Sebastian Bach- Prelude and Fugue No.24 in B Minor from Book 2 of the Well-Tempered Clavier

Sergei Rachmaninoff- Prelude in C# Minor Op.3 No.2

Frederic(sometimes seen spelled different ways!) Chopin (accents on the e's of his first name)- Fantasy-Impromptu Op.66 posthumous(Fantaisie-Impromptu as original spelling)

Franz Schubert- Impromptu Op.90 No.2 in Eb Major

Aram Khatchaturian- Toccata



There really aren't any that are hard to spell for me!!! Not any I can think of that easily!!!Spelling Survey: composer names/composition titles - which easy to spell, which requires the dictionary?
Composers-

Easy:

Frederic Chopin

Ludwig von Beethoven

Johannes Brahms

Alexander Scriabin (Skryabin)

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Leonard Bernstein

Domenico Scarlatti



Hard:

Peter Illych Tchaikowsky (I think I get it right eventually!)

Felix Mendelssohn (not sure of the number of 's' in the last name)

Joaquin Rodrigo (First name gets me sometimes)

Moritz Moskowski (s's again)

Modest Mossourgski

Johann Nepomuk Hummel (specifically the middle name)

Camille Saint-Sa毛ns



Compositions - I can never remember the full name including the key
Liszt, Mendelssohn, and Shostakovich are three names which I have had to look up.



I still have to look up Gianni Schicchi, and I just recently learned how to spell Requiem.



PS I just ran into another one: Scheherezade.Spelling Survey: composer names/composition titles - which easy to spell, which requires the dictionary?
Alexander Scaribin ... I often type it Scarabin.



Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ... Let's just call him Pete T. (not to be confused with that guy from The Who)



Mussorgsky ... I keep missing that "g" in there.



... I'm getting better at spelling "Bach" :-)
Khatchaturian, Shostakovich, and Sergei Vasilievich are all hard. For pieces, I'd say Liebesfreud, Zigeunerweizen, Liebeslied.
Easy to spell perhaps, but you have to know it! Beethoven(sp?). I even had my spell checker fix this, since, I can't spell!
Seven composers of my choice? I don't speak Russian (yet) so I'll do a few Russians.



1. Dmitri Bortniansky

2. Sergei Rachmaninoff

3. Pyotr (Peter) Illyich Tchaikovsky

4. Dmitri Shostakovich

5.. Sergei Prokofiev

6. Modest Mussorgsky

7. Igor Stravinsky



It varies on the different languages and pronunciations though - I still spell it the Dutch way, "Tsja茂kovski", sometimes, because it all comes down to the same thing in Cyrillic. I'm still having trouble between John Tavener and John Taverner, never know which one is which until I listen to their music.



I NEVER know "Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland". I've said Nunn Kommt der Helden Heidenland or Nunn Kommt den Heiden Heldenland and it's just so embarrassing!



The one composer I always have to look up is Dvo艡谩k. Having copied and pasted it so many times because I don't have a caron on my keyboard, I have trouble when I'm writing it by hand!
Interesting question, Alberich! Yes, come to think of it, there are a number of well-loved composers whose names always make me reach for the music dictionary!



Anyway, here is my list:



SEVEN COMPOSERS WHOSE NAMES I OFTEN SPELL INCORRECTLY



1. Guillaume Dufay (I can NEVER remember if it's "Dufay" or "Dufuy.")



2. W.F. Bach (I can never remember his Christian names, let alone spell them...I just looked it up - it's "Wilhelm Friedemann" - but I know I will have forgotten that by the end of the day.)



3. Georg Phillippe Telemann - or is it Georg Philippe, Phillipp, Philipe...DANG, I don't know! "G.P." will have to do!!! - again, I just looked it up - it's "Philipp." *SIGH*



4. Mozart's full name (I just looked it up - he was christened "Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart" - surely I can be forgiven for not remembering THIS one!?!)



5. Corelli's first nane - is it "Archangelo" or "Arcangelo?" (Just checked - it's "Arcangelo.")



6. Johannes Ockegham/Okeghem/Ockeghem...oh I give up! (it's actually "Ockeghem.")



7. Josquin Desprez/Deprez/Des Prez...(actually, it seems there are umpteen spellings of his name around - all of these variations - and more - seem to be permissible. Guess it's little wonder that a lot of scholars refer to him simply as "Josquin.")





The sad thing is, I love all of these composers...I'm having way too many senior moments these days, I'm afraid...must be all the neuron-destroying bassoon playing...



Anyway, have a great day, Alberich!

Hafwen xoxox
Tchaichosky or something....



I don't know enough composers, and definitely not their FULL names.



Couldn't you have done a spelling survey on countries or diseases instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment