Friday, January 20, 2012

How do you know how to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it ...?

in the first place? Now I know what some of you teenyboppers are going to ask because you grew up with spellcheck--what's a dictionary, right?How do you know how to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it ...?
EXACTLY! I just had to do that today!
sound it out ...How do you know how to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it ...?
yep sure do
Well lol, I usually know what the words start with.. if not I try my luck at finding it... ha.. not so hard to do, I promise you THAT much.. ;O)How do you know how to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it ...?
LOL That's funny and I am no Teeny Bopper but you got to go to school to learn how to use one of them too.
It may take some research - start off looking under the letter you think it begins with, then skim down - or - you could go to a thesaurus - check one of those words and the one you want should be in there somewhere.
lol....good question. My 9 yr old son asks me that every week when doing his spelling homework!! I shoot him the word and he's suppose to look it up and write the definition. I tell him to sound it out and look it up that way. If all else fails, use an online dictionary, it will give you spelling suggestions if you get close to what you're trying to spell!! lol
lol no! im a teen [teenybopper?] and i use a dictionary quite a bit! but i always have that problem! although --thank god for spell check cause i spell horribly...so bad that sometimes spell check doesnt even recognize it! :]
I never understood that concept myself. I used to say that to teachers but they just thought I was being a smart-aleck (Is that how you spell it? I guess I'll never know!)
I sound it out as best as I can , then read the definitions, if i get the first few letters right I'll find the word.

this spelling check helps me but not all the time, I need my dictionary to tell me the definition of the word not just how to spell it, and I use it a lot.

I'm also what is call a phonetic speller, I don't hear the vowel like most people do.

so us phonetic spellers spell the way it sounds to us,It's not that we are dum it's just that we cant hear that vowel or letter.



I can read just fine, I have no problem there, and I can also read phonetically.
You start by how you think it is spelled, and if you don't find it, you look for spellings that are close to it.



Finally, if all else fails, you ask it on Y!A P%26amp;S



Morg
im 19 do you consider me a teenybopper?





anyway... i usually use google. i type in the word the way i think its spelled and if its spelled incorrectly than they'll ask "did you mean:-------"







thats NOT using spellcheck. and i DO know what a dictionary is!!!
  • shop bop
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment