Monday, January 23, 2012

How can I find the spelling of a word in the dictionary....?

...when I don't know how to spell it in the first place? I'm not kidding, this happened to me today.How can I find the spelling of a word in the dictionary....?
Unless it's something like hors d'oeuvre, you can think of a couple of possible spellings based on how the word sounds phonetically...and look up each of those spellings in the dictionary. It usually beats the rigmarole of reading through several pages of dictionary...but I've done that in the past as well.
Cool i'm glad i could help

Report Abuse

How can I find the spelling of a word in the dictionary....?
GB fan, wtf do u mean cool i'm glad i could help. i dont see any answers by you

Report Abuse


or u culd always email someone and spell tht very word and clik on spell check! its wat do most of the time! just spell it on how u thinks itz spelled or how it sounds ex- type skool for school do u get my point?

Report Abuse

How can I find the spelling of a word in the dictionary....?
I've always wondered the same thing...

Report Abuse


I like dictionary

Report Abuse


Elaine....... I guess she lacks intelligence, obviously

Report Abuse


I know right?

all the teachers are like....use the dictionary to find the spelling of the word....like wtf???

Report Abuse


you got be fcking kidding me?

go to fcking school dumbassmotherfucker=)

Report Abuse


Good lord the profanity. O.o

Report Abuse


wow this was stupid.

Report Abuse


You should try Dictionary.com. You can type in how you think a word is spelled and if it's incorrect it offers you other suggestions.

Report Abuse


use google

type it the way you think it is - and google will come back and say "did you mean ***** ?"
Ha! I know!

At least online, if you get a little close, they'll come back with, "did you mean..such and such???" Saved by the bell!



ma
Been there lots of times may take awhile but i find it. My dictionary sits right by me on my foot stool. I just look the way it sounds then i look and look and i finally find it..
you'd look for the first few letters...which you should be able to figure out with any common knowledge,

and from there just try and find the word that looks like the word your looking for
First, try to sound the word out. Then try looking the first and or second letter of the word. Ex. affidavit, sound the word out then look at the first two letters "af" and go from there. That's how I teach my son how to use or find word in the dictionary. Hope that helps.
Use Google. Either that or go to Microsoft Word, type how you think it's spelled, and then click on the spell check button.
Open MS Word, and type something close then hit F7 for spell check. It works a bit bettern Yahoo spellchick.
...go to

http://www.merriam-webster.com/



even if you only have a general idea of how it may be spelled, this site will give you choices under the correct spelling....I use it all the time
So you have suddenly become a Gen Y? Congratulations, take 25 years off your age and go sit in the corner.



The Google option is best. Dictionaries have become static displays of "medieval" life for many....



For you I would say ask Annabelle what it is in French, look up the French dictionary and you will find the correct english spelling, then go to your english dictionary to confirm that.
Usually if you are erudite enough to want to verify the spelling of a word your guess will be close enough to get it correct fairly easily.

It`s Synonyms and Antonyms that I have a problem with sometimes.
sound it out

pronounce it slowly.



example; banana

buh-na-na
hehehehe. Me too.
  • english to arabic
  • permit practice test
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment